Middle and high school writers experience the support of camp teachers and peers when they attend the Inkstains Summer Writing Camp.
The dates for Inkstains 2017 are as follows:
The middle school camp will meet July 10 - 14, 2017.
The high school camp will meet July 17 - 21, 2016.
Please click here for the 2017 Inkstains brochure and application.
Why A Writer’s Camp?
“Most of the basic material a writer works with is acquired before the age of fifteen.” —Willa Cather
• Writing camp is 9 a.m., awakening, inspired by the bustle-hustle of the Eastern Michigan University campus, watching, thinking, composing, being.
• It’s walking across campus, writer’s notebook in one hand, pen in the other, the writer’s eye seeking stories in tattered backpacks, crows, squirrels, and new faces; connecting lives and memories, building stories in a twenty-minute stroll.
• It’s paddling an imaginary raft down the whitest water that the mind can conjure, big rapids, hydraulic slips and holes, dreaming adventure scenes for the stories of tomorrow.
• Writing camp is bringing out the hip hop rhythms, the beat, the rhyme, the tale, laughing and crying at the same time. It’s what poetry was or meant to do.
• It’s surprising yourself with ideas, opinions, and the power of words.
“A writer has a facility with words. A good writer can also think.” — Cynthia Ozick
What happens at Inkstains?
Inkstains Writing Camp has given me the confidence to be true to myself as a writer, and I think I can speak for past, present, and future campers when I say that I've become much more enthusiastic about sharing my work with the world. Since I started coming to camp, I have written four produced one-act plays for my high school, and I don't plan on stopping there. The confidence that this camp has given to us has not only helped us all as writers, but as people, too.
—Maddie Fyke, Inkstains Alumni