The Eastern Michigan Writing Project (EMWP) Summer Institute is an intensive two-week session designed for teachers and administrators (K-College) concerned with the teaching of writing in any subject area and interested in staff development opportunities. We seek teacher applicants who demonstrate their commitment to the teaching of writing. What Will You Do?
- Write for personal and professional audiences
- Write and respond to each others’ writing
- Read and discuss current research in the teaching of writing
- Develop research questions about writing and our classrooms. (Also known as Wonderings about Our Own Contexts.)
- Learn from other teacher consultants who continue their research in the field.
- Participate in a book club of your choice. Topics include
- Disciplinary Literacies
- Digital Literacies and Digital Writing
- Curriculum Design
- Culturally Relevant Literacy
- or Suggest a Topic of Interest to you.
- Attend 3 Continuity Meetings spread over September through December 2017 according to participants' availability.
- Eat heartily.
If you teach writing in any subject at any level and are interested in leadership opportunities, this Institute will be your springboard.
How Can You Learn More?
The Application Process
- Pre-registration has begun.
- The deadline for receiving your completed pre-registration is March 31, 2017
- Pre-registrants will receive directions from Extended Programs about registration with payment.
- Registration for credit is approximately $2000.00 and $550 for non-credit. See "What Will It Cost?" below for more information.
- The first fifteen registered will receive $400 scholarships from the National Writing Project. You will receive priority if you pre-registered for non-credit early, but you must register by April 4.
Who Can Apply?
- Whoever teaches writing for any purpose K-16
- Open to all that apply including those who have attended previous Summer Institute
What Will It Cost?
- First 15 registrants will receive a $400 scholarship from the National Writing Project
- Credit Option: Three Graduate Credits - Tuition $1987.90 (Additional Fees may apply)
- Optional one additional credit for 5 continuity meetings throughout the 2017-2018 school year.
- Non-credit Option - $550
- 75 SECHS available for a small professional development fee.
- A new vision for the teaching of writing
- Status as a National Writing Project Teacher Consultants
- A Professional Learning Community that will continue to support you long after the summer is over.